Thursday 1 March 2007

Shoplifting

Is shoplifting any different to other types of theft?

Why do people shoplift when they can afford the items?



I personally do not consider Shoplifting to be any different to other types of theft, at the end of the day it is wrong.



I do not know why people do shoplift; I have never done it myself. My conscious is too high, I would probably have to go back and own up, that is if I even manage to get out the shop without drawing attention to what I have done.



Those who shoplift tend to do it in shops which are easily affordable, so why do they even bother? And anther thing I have noticed, it tends to be those who brag about how expensive their designer clothes cost, who then go and Shoplift....Ran out of money buying your Burberry Wardrobe?



However, on another note, there are women who have shoplifted and then used PMS (Pre-Menstrual Syndrome) as an excuse in court and have got away with it. Statistics “show that up to 50% of petty criminal acts by women coincide with their pre-menstrual phase - things like shop-lifting, assault, baby-battering as well as road accidents.” (http://www.virginiaironside.org/articles.php?id=44). For these people (who are genuine) then I have sympathy for them. That does not mean I agree with it and think it is a reason all women should use when they want something for nothing, but I do think these people need help.



I have never, and will never shoplift. If I can afford something and want it, then I will buy it. If I want something and can’t afford it, I will save my money until a time when I can.


1 comment:

katiebatchelor said...

I agree with you kylie,i live to shop especially for clothes but unfortunately i am not rich and there will always be something i want but cant afford, however i would never steal to get them. As far as i am concerned shoplifting is no different to any other crime it is still a crime and people should not be allowed to get away with it,there is also not an excuse for it. I cant understand the mental stae of those who do choose to steal, many people chose to steal from places like their work,is their job really worth a few quid? or even their freedom?