Wednesday 2 May 2007

End of Module Questionnaire

Age?
19

Sex?
Female

What is your degree subject (both if joint)?
English

Does ‘Being Bad’ relate well to the other modules you are taking?
I can't say it relates directly but...

If so, how? And if not, why not?
It gave me the chance to observe different opinions and to see how others may look at the same subject but in a different light.

Have you found ‘Being Bad’ too demanding, too easy, or at an appropriate level?
I think the module hit the right level, it allowed a slightly more relaxed approach, but at the same time, kept us on track with essays to do.

Do you think the list of topics covered on the module was appropriate?
I think the list was very appropriate, as reading through other blogs, it is clear that they spark many reactions and it helps to pin point what todays society calls "bad" compared to earlier society.

Are there any topics not included in the module that you would like to see included?
Almost everything in life will be declared "bad" by someone or some group. You have to draw the line somewhere. I can't think of one I would add personally.

Do you think that the format for classes has worked well?
Yes.

What did you think of the module team?
I haven't had the chance to talk to the "team" (bar Mark) personally, but it's clear by watching that they get on well together and they all seem relaxed and friendly.

Do you think it would have been better to have had more:
Small group discussions?
I think it would be interesting on one level but at the same time, slightly off putting for those who may not want everyone to put a face to their opinion.
Discussion and debate among the class as a whole?
As the class is layed out, we had the chance to give input in lectures and I think this was enough.
Information and talk from lecturers?
I think the leccturers done well, they have enough information on the topics and also gave us ideas which we could take away and look into ourselves.

The approach taken in the module is interdisciplinary (drawing on perspectives from English Literature, Film Studies, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Media Studies and Politics): do you think this a useful way of approaching the topics covered in the module?
Yes, as the range of topics were accessable to the majority (if not all) of the class.

Do you think that interdisciplinary modules are a good idea?
Yes, as it allows people studying different modules to interact with each other.

Do you think you have benefited from the interdisciplinary approach taken in the module?
Personally, I found myself sticking with people who I know on my English course.

Would you like to see more modules that cover this kind of subject matter?
I think it would be a possibility, though I would suggest a different layout, blogging isn't always the best way for some people, and that mgiht put them off.

Are you planning to take the follow-up module PH2004 ‘It Shouldn’t Be Allowed’ at level 2?
Not as it stands no, the idea of group blogging put me off.

Would you recommend ‘Being Bad’ to a friend?
Yes, my older sister recommended it to me and I found it enjoyable, so I would recommend it to others.

Do you think that the blogs (web logs) were a good idea?
They are to an extent. They allow a bit more freedom and creativity, but some people stuggle with the technology. Single web blogs are fine for me, but I don't like the idea of group blogs.

What did you think of the other assessments (e.g. would it be better to have one longer assessment rather than two shorter ones?)?
I usually have trouble making the work count upto 1,500, so I thought the 800 was great...that was until I came to write them and found that I had gone over by about 400 words and had to cut alot out. With these topics I think alot of people would find it easier to do a longer assessment.

What have you learned from the module?
Hmm, that's a hard one. Society today are so free with their thoughts on such topics that you hear them alot outside of University, so many of the topics I had a base knowledge on anyway.

What parts of the module have you found most useful and why?
I think the module itself was useful in that I am more aware of how people react to the things I believe in.

What parts do you think were a waste of time and why?
I wouldn't say there was anything which was a waste.

Are there any other comments you wish to make regarding ‘Being Bad’?
There was only one lecture in this module which I was disguested by. The lecture on Infidelity was appaling. I left after a while, because I didn't want to sit and listen to someone laugh at those who have never been unfaithful and be told that we haven't lived. I was disguested that a lecturer would stand there and almost promote Infidelity, whether purposly to spark a reaction or not. I don't think it is a laughing matter.
Aside from that, I liked that the different lecturers shared the classes, as it was nice to "get to know" (as much as you can from watching them) some more lecturers.

No comments: